Hey Seattle, the weekend wants you to make some awesome plans.
But first, find out what downtown happenings might slow your roll and plan like a pro. The biggest takeaway, avoid I-5 if possible:
WSDOT weekend work: Several I-5 lanes and ramps will begin to close 9 p.m. Friday night, April 20, and reopen for the morning commute by 5 a.m. Monday morning, April 23. Scroll down for full details.
Peanuts and Cracker Jacks
The Mariners host the World Series Champion Houston Astros at home this week, Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon. Yay for daytime baseball! SPD will close the SB SR 99 exit to S. Atlantic St. for approximately 1 hour following Thursday’s game, so use alternate routes. 20,000 fans are expected each day.
WEDS 04.18 – SUN 04.22
Coffee lovers and afficiandoes will converge at the Convention Center for the Specialty Coffee Association 2018 Annual Expo in a celebration of caffeine. Expect downtown to be buzzing with 2,000 espresso experts.
The Rave Green, aka Seattle Sounders, take on Minnesota United FC at CenturyLink Field, with a 1 p.m. kick off. 35,000 fans will be cheering them on, so expect travel delays before and after the match. Also at CenturyLink, the Call of Duty World League is happening at the Event Center this weekend.
FRI 4.20 – MON 4.23
WSDOT Roadway work: Northbound I-5 will be reduced to two lanes from 9 p.m. Friday, April 20, to 5 a.m. Monday, April 23, from the West Seattle Bridge to Olive Way. People using northbound I-5 should plan for major delays during this lane reduction.
Construction closure details:
Several lanes and ramps will begin to close 9 p.m. Friday night, April 20, and reopen for the morning commute by 5 a.m. Monday morning, April 23.
- Two lanes of northbound I-5 will remain open between the West Seattle Bridge and Olive Way from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.
- A single lane will remain open each night from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- The Express Lanes will remain open in the northbound direction all weekend.
The following ramps will be closed during the weekend construction:
- Northbound I-5 off-ramp to the West Seattle Bridge, Spokane Street, and Columbian Way.
- Columbian Way on-ramp to northbound I-5.
- Westbound I-90 on-ramp to northbound I-5.
- Eastbound I-90/Edgar Martinez Drive on-ramp to northbound I-5.
- Dearborn Street on-ramp to northbound I-5.
- University Street on-ramp to northbound I-5.
- Cherry Street on-ramp to northbound I-5.
SAT 4.21 – SUN 4.22
4th Ave will be closed downtown between University St. and Olive Way for crane work.
App of the week.
Each week we’ll share a new or existing tool to help you navigate around Seattle. This week, it’s all about One Bus Away!
One Bus Away is an open-source platform for real-time transit info where you’ll find nearby stops on a map, choose from a list of favorite stops, add shortcuts to your phone’s home screen, and set reminders for frequently used trips.
Here’s a tip: If you’re having problems with arrival times (because technology isn’t perfect), real-time arrival info comes from our local transit agency. Tap on the arrival time and select “Report problem with trip” to ping Metro to fix it. 🤯