If you travel in SODO you’ve likely noticed that Airport Way South is looking better and better (see pretty pics below!). That’s because hard-working construction crews completed phase one of improvements to Airport Way South (South Spokane Street up to South Royal Brougham Way) this year and just about completed Airport Way South phase two improvements (South Royal Brougham Way to South Dearborn Street) this month.
You might remember weather wasn’t its most cooperative in early December, when some Airport Way final elements were to be completed. These highly weather-sensitive tasks that now await dry moderate days next year include asphalt resurfacing at the Dearborn intersection and final pavement markings. Some final electrical work is part of the mix. But why focus on a couple of weeks of remaining work when we have so much to celebrate?? What crews completed on Airport Way phase two this year includes:
- Full roadway reconstruction of Airport Way South between South Royal Brougham and South Dearborn Street
- Repaving of approaches at intersecting streets
- Sidewalk repairs in several areas
- New and upgraded pedestrian curb ramps
- Rebuilt driveways along Airport Way South
- New storm drainage infrastructure
Photos of that completed work in progress are shared here, along with a wish for a very happy new year!