Find Posts By Topic

How about a block party?

Summer is finally here and it’s a great time to get outside, get to know your neighbors and  have some fun by holding a block party.  Who knows – maybe you can start a neighborhood tradition!    In case you weren’t aware, you can get a free permit from SDOT’s Street Use section for any activity to temporarily close a street or sidewalk between the hours of 9 a.m. and 10 p.m., as long as it excludes escorted processions, parades, or any activity in which Police Department personnel would be required.  Block parties are defined as events being held by people living along the street, families and close friends – not larger publicized events open to the general public.

The process is simple:  You must submit a permit application no less than 14 days in advance of your planned block party.  The application requires that you provide the start and end times, the estimated number of people expected to attend, the organization or neighborhood group coordinating the event and the name, address, and telephone number of the contact person.  Submit the application to SDOT at or send the application to the mailing address listed on the application. No insurance is required for a Neighborhood Block Party permit.

Applicants are responsible for contacting all affected neighbors to share the details of the street closure event; cleaning up afterwards;  and providing barricades and street closure signs.

Some things you can’t do:  Close an arterial street; close your intersection; close a street with a bus stop; apply for more than one block party permit per month; or place non-movable items in the street area.

For all the information you need and more, including the application, frequently asked questions, even samples of closure signs and invitations to send to your neighbors, please go to our website.