SDOT announced a partnership with rideshare provider Uber and MADD to provide discounted rides home, so you don’t have to leave it to the luck of the Irish on St. Patrick’s Day and during special events throughout 2016. SDOT Director Scott Kubly and Brooke Steber with Uber made the announcement at Kells Irish Pub today.
The first of these efforts will take place today (St. Paddy’s day) at Kells Irish Pub in Post Alley, where hundreds of locals celebrate every year. From 8 p.m. to midnight, the Uber breathalyzer kiosk will be in action to help educate people about the legal blood-alcohol limit. Everyone who gives the breathalyzer a try that night will receive a free ride home up to $15 in value. This will be the first time the breathalyzer kiosk has been publicly accessible in Seattle.
In addition, throughout the week of March 14-20, anyone who’s new to Uber can take advantage of a free ride home, up to $15 in value, by entering the promo code MYRIDEHOME in the Uber app.
Although the Emerald City is often recognized as one of the safest cities in the country, we’ve had more than 35,000 crashes in the last three years. And every year, about 30% of fatal crashes are the result of impaired driving. To reach our Vision Zero goal of ending traffic deaths and serious injuries by 2030, we’ll need to tackle this issue. And this partnership will help us get there. With Uber, we’re encouraging people over 21 to use safe travel options after a night of drinking.
What’s our offer, you ask? There are a few ways you can get a discounted ride home tonight:
- Check out the Uber breathalyzer kiosk from 8 PM to midnight tonight at Kells Irish Pub (1916 Post Alley). We want to educate people about the legal blood-alcohol limit, as well as offer free rides. Any existing and new Uber users who give the breathalyzer a try between 8 PM and midnight will receive a free ride home, up to $15 in value. This is the breathalyzer kiosk’s debut in Seattle, so come and check it out!
- If you’ll be out and about elsewhere in the city tonight, you can still take advantage. We’ve distributed promotional coasters to 150 bars and nightclubs that have the promo code “MYRIDEHOME.” Anyone who’s new to Uber can punch this promo code into the app and redeem a free ride, up to $15 in value.
- Uber will also be rolling out special uberHOP routes from Kells tonight:
- $2 – Kells to Lower Queen Anne (Queen Anne Ave N & Mercer)
- $2.50 – Kells to Capitol Hill (E Pike Street & Broadway)
- $4.00 – Kells to Ballard (NW Market & 15th)
We’re proud to partner with Uber to provide travel options to get people home safely on St. Patrick’s Day and during more special events to come in 2016. So take advantage of the offer. If you drink, grab a ride with Uber or someone who is sober, take transit, or if you drove, pre-pay for parking the next morning.
Let’s work together to make Seattle’s streets safer for everyone.