On Saturday, March 19 and Sunday, March 20, SDOT will begin installation of new bus lane improvements on Westlake Ave / Westlake Ave N between Stewart St and Mercer St.
Beginning Monday, March 21, the new bus lanes can only be used by buses 24/7. These changes are in preparation for new service from the RapidRide C Line to South Lake Union that will begin the following Saturday, March 26. Implementing the bus only lanes a week in advanced of the March 26 service change provides opportunity for drivers to adjust to the new bus lanes and also takes advantage of dry weather, producing higher quality markings.
The new northbound center BUS ONLY lane (between Harrison St and Mercer St) replaces the left turn lane from Harrison to Mercer. Additionally, people driving will be restricted from:
- Making northbound left turn Westlake to Mercer. (click to view map)
- Making southbound right turns from Westlake to Mercer.
- Making northbound and southbound left turns from Westlake to Republican.
- Making southbound right turns from Westlake to Republican.
- Making northbound right turns from Westlake to Harrison.
- Making southbound right and left turns from Westlake to Thomas.
- Making northbound right turns from Westlake to Thomas.
- Making northbound left turns from Westlake to Denny (during the middle of the day)
Please plan your new route in advance to allow for adjustments to the changes. SDOT would like to thank the public for its patience while this work is completed.
New RapidRide C Line service and the SLU Streetcar will start using the BUS ONLY lanes. The changes make it possible to double the number of people using transit along Westlake Avenue during the afternoon peak commute between 5p.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays, which is the equivalent of adding another travel lane.
Ready for more bus service? Learn about the New RapidRide C Line service coming to SLU starting March 26.