Find Posts By Topic

Posts categorized under Traffic and Construction Archives - Page 53 of 54 - SDOT Blog

Seattle Companies are Commuting Champs!

Seattle’s Commute Trip Reduction (CTR) program works with the city’s largest companies to reduce congestion by decreasing the numbers of drive-alone trips during peak hour commutes. The CTR Champions program recognizes employers who achieve notable reductions, provide innovative and comprehensive employee commuter programs, and have high levels of participation. This year’s CTR… [ Keep reading ]

Improvements on 2nd Ave are Underway

Work to improve 2nd Ave for people walking, biking, and driving has begun – this includes upgrading traffic signals and extending the 2-way protected bike lane along 2nd Ave from Pike St to Denny Way! Three new signals and crossings at Clay, Cedar, and Vine streets along with new landscaping and… [ Keep reading ]

More than 70% of downtown Seattle commuters are choosing not to drive alone.

Our recent Commuter Mode Split Survey Report shows that more than 70 percent of downtown’s estimated 247,000 daily commuters opt for transit, ridesharing, biking, walking and teleworking – leaving less than 30 percent of commuters to drive alone to work. That continues a strong downward trend in solo driving from… [ Keep reading ]

Van Hailin’

Every year, thousands of Seattle commuters get to work using a van or carpool. Not driving single occupancy vehicles helps reduce congestion and carbon emissions – as well as being a convenient way to save on commuting costs. But, the fee for a Vanpool parking permit hasn’t been updated in… [ Keep reading ]

Transportation Options: Carsharing

Seattle has a lot of options to get around including walking, biking, transit, driving and carsharing. Carsharing provides on-site, on-demand access to a vehicle. Carshare systems are designed for round-trip and one-way use depending on the service provider and location, with users paying an annual membership fee and a fee… [ Keep reading ]

Collaboration to Improve Private Development Review

SDOT’s Street Use Division manages the City’s rights of way (ROW), regulating activities that impact safety, mobility and the environment. In these last few years of unprecedented growth, we’ve taken a more holistic approach to right-of-way management. We closely coordinate public and private projects, bringing contractors, residents, and businesses together to problem-solve. We’ve… [ Keep reading ]

Getting Around in the Rain

It’s that time of year when rainy weather and shorter, darker days are once again upon us. Bicyclists and pedestrians need to exercise extra caution and awareness when commuting to and from work. Whether you’re walking or riding, it helps to know your route instead of trying to navigate on… [ Keep reading ]

SDOT Mobility Innovations First Forum on Mobility Hubs

SDOT hosted the first Mobility Innovations Forum Monday, the topic Mobility Hubs. We’re hosting a speaker series on mobility innovations, running through mid-2017 (see below).  The City of Seattle is partnering with transit agencies and private mobility services to develop a network of shared mobility hubs throughout the city, providing better… [ Keep reading ]

Construction Hub Coordination in Action

When multiple construction projects are working close to one another, our Construction Hub Coordination Team steps in to minimize their collective impact on mobility. Just this week, we brought contractors together to keep pedestrian access open along Dexter Ave. While completing work that makes the sidewalk next to their site too… [ Keep reading ]

Talk to Your Boss About Telework Week

September 19-23 is Telework Week in King County! Telework is a way to reduce employee commute times and is seen as a big benefit by workers. King County Metro offers a free program called WorkSmart, which helps Seattle area employers create flexible commute programs. WorkSmart’s free services include one-on-one consultations to: Design a… [ Keep reading ]